Sunday, June 14, 2009

I think that I learned a lot with the first post: how to start a blog, how to post and how to post a picture. Hopefully I'll remember how to post a picture.


I did another block of "Meet me at the Manor". When I made the manor block I discovered a cutting error, so I decided to make one of each type of block first to make sure all the cutting directions are fine. Then I can cut out all the blocks at once.
Last week I was looking at some old tapes of Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson. Her guest was Sally Collins. Sally talked about how to cut fabrics. By doing it her way you use a regular 1/4 inch instead of a scant quarter inch when you sew. This sounded good to me so I tried it on the next block. Careful cutting, ironing and sewing and here's the block:

This is the berry basket block- and I have to make 4 of them. Looks pretty good. Only one problem- it is 1/4 inch too short in one direction and 1/8 inch too short in the other. Oh well back to my scant quarter tool and post it notes. I think I will get some similar fabric and practice the blocks before using the fabric from the kit.
A couple of weekends ago I went to the North Carolina Quilt Symposium in Raleigh at Peace College. I took some pictures and I am now in the process of labeling them. As soon as I do, I will post them. They ask that you identify the quilts. I just went to the show, unfortunately I was unable to take any classes. Maybe the next time it comes to this area.
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment